disk error

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Sat Feb 16 17:28:22 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 17:59 +0100, Peter Boosten wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just found these messages in my logfile. Is it something to worry about?
> I've never seen them before upgrading to 6.3.
>
> ra kernel: ad0: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA48 retrying (1 retry left) LBA=281550271
> ra kernel: ad0: FAILURE - READ_DMA48 status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
> error=4<ABORTED> LBA=281550271

Yea -- normally that means a bad sector(*), and where there's one,
there's bound to be more.  Failed drive eventually.

I would pull this server from rotation and run a full surface sector
scan on it (download an ISO of "Hiran's Boot CD")

Or if its a geom mirror raid-1, test this component.

If it was scsi, I would recommend camcontrol(8) to query the disk for a
list of grown defect sectors.

~BAS

*. If you've never seen it before and it developed.  Bad
cables/controllers/drives/interference can cause it too, but you would
have seen it from inception.