Trying to recover data from FreeBSD 4.11 system

Olivier Nicole on at cs.ait.ac.th
Thu Feb 14 09:49:23 UTC 2008

> possibly try fsck - i don't know (my first FreeBSD was 5.*) but maybe UFS
> changed a bit?

Nope, I have had machines that I upgraded from 4 to 5 and 6 without
changing the hard disk, and without changing the file system.

> So, I installed this drive as the second hard drive in a FreeBSD 6.2 system
> and I tried to mount it, but I got "incorrect super block".

With no old disk installed, what is your mounted disks/partitions?
Result of mount -p.

If you have it what was the result of mount -p on the old machine.

What is the result of "fdisk /dev/ad0" ?

Install the old hard disk, what is the result of "fdisk /dev/ad1" ?

Olivier