what happened to linuxflashplugin?

Andriy Babiy freebsdathome at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 13 19:17:06 UTC 2008

> Let me be the one to point out the (next) controversial thing:
> here's a
> perfect example why using linux binaries for stuff like this is
> a dead end.
>
> And don't even start about the PC-BSD folks who want to make
> flash9 work....
> via WINE.
>
> We need a native flash or a replacement for the animation side,
> and where
> flash is merely used as a video container, we have not option
> but to use
> youitube-dl, miro, and the like. But there too, some native
> solution is
> needed, otherwise it will continue to work like crap if at all.

Personally, I tried both gnash and swfdec. It was several months ago.
They worked just fine on some sites, silently didn't work on other sites.
But the problem was that sometimes I saw another behaviour: after
opening a webpage I couldn't interact with the computer at all. Mouse
was moving on the screen, but nothing could be done either by mouse
or keyboard. Actually, the only button working on the computer was
power off on the front panel of the computer, next to reset... So, I felt
browsing the internet just like a miner game: if you catch the "wrong"
site, you need to reboot. I can't afford that, so I removed them and
installed back the linux flash player. I'm not sure what exactly caused
the problem - flash itself, or something between flash and KDE;
I would be able to live with that if native flash didn't hang the computer,
if it just didn't work silently. Have you tried native solutions recently?

Andriy