problem while stoping a service using script

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Mon Feb 11 16:33:43 UTC 2008

On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:26:00 +0530
"lokesh babu" <loc.hello at gmail.com> wrote:

> hi
>
> i want to know how to stop a service from a script
> this is the sample script to stop and start a service in linux,when i
> kept faststart then starting a service is working in freebsd
> similarly i want to know what to do inorder to stop a service in
> freebsd.
>
> start|--start | faststart)
>         do_start
>         ;;
>     stop|--stop)
>         do_stop

If you want to write  a script like this you can just give it a .sh
extension and put it in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/. There's more in the rc
manpage if you want to do it the modern way.

However, if your script is in /etc/rc.d (which is intended for system
rcng scripts) and is getting  faststart, but not faststop, then I'd be
interested to know. This has broken for me in the last week or so, and
I'd like to know whether it's a bug or a local problem.