libicui18n.so.36 not found, required by "evolution"

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Sat Feb 9 18:03:01 UTC 2008

Matthew Seaman wrote:

> E. J. Cerejo wrote:
>> Running FBSD 6.3 and after updating the ports where icu was one of the
>> ports to be updated I'm getting the libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object
>> "libicui18n.so.36" not found, required by "evolution" error, I can see
>> that the new version of icu installed "libicui18n.so.38".  Is there a
>> better way to fix this or should I just symlink "libicui18n.so.38" to
>> "libicui18n.so.36"?
>
> Nope.  Symlinking shlibs of different ABI versions together is the
> wrong answer.  There's a reason the ABI version number was bumped,
> and it indicates the new shlib is not compatible with the old one.
>
> Formally, the correct fix is:
>
>    # portupgrade -rf icu-\*
>
> or the equivalent in whatever ports management software you prefer.
>
> However this is pretty unfortunate as icu is a basic component that
> a large number of packages depend upon.  Expect to spend a long time
> compiling.

The port sysutils/bsdadminscripts installs a script called pkg_libchk that
will list you all ports that /really/ need to be rebuild. Many of the ports
depending on icu-\* do so indirectly by linking to a library that links to
icu, thus it is sufficent to rebuild those directly linking ports. pkg_libchk
checks for such direct dependencies and will list you the affected ports.