Unable to mount partition with ntfs-3g

Dominic Fandrey kamikaze at bsdforen.de
Fri Feb 8 22:32:33 UTC 2008

Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I would love to be able to mount my NTFS partition R/W, but the FreeBSD
> NTFS support is read-only (or almost read-only), so I installed
> fusefs-ntfs which I thought would allow this.
>
> After installation (which also pulled in fusefs-kmod, fusefs-libs, and
> libublio), I added fusefs_enable="yes" to my rc.conf. Then, after
> starting fusefs (which means loading the fuse kernel module), I tried:
> # mount -t ntfs-3g /dev/ad0s1 /C
> mount: /dev/ad0 : Operation not supported by device
>
> I got the same message for a USB drive on /dev/da0.
>
> Documentation on ntfs-3g is pretty limited. Did I miss something? I
> really rather not convert my new USB disk to FAT32 if I don't have to.

mount only calls a couple of file systems in the old fashioned way. One of
them is ntfs. What I did to be able to mount NTFS systems with mount -t
(obligatory if you want to use fstab to mount), I did the following:

# mv /sbin/mount_ntfs /sbin/mount_ntfs.bak
# ln -s /usr/sbin/mount_ntfs-3g /sbin/mount_ntfs

This is one of my /etc/fstab entries
/dev/ntfs/2vault  /mnt/vault  ntfs  rw,late,gid=5,umask=113,dmask=002  0  0