buildworld releng7 exterme performance loss

Frank Staals frankstaals at gmx.net
Fri Feb 8 09:39:36 PST 2008

Frank Staals wrote:
> doug at safeport.com wrote:
<message snipped>

> As suggested I turned on all.log and also captured the output from
> vmstat -i and top -S as 2 others suggested. From the all.log output I
> don't seem to see anything out of the ordinary if I compare it to a
> snapshot of all.log on my working environment but maybe I am looking
> for the wrong thing ? The same applies for the output of top -S.
> vmstat's output may be more interesting though. In both cases I the
> information was taken just after boot with a login on tty0 and 1
> remote session. vmstat shows the amount of interrupts for my network
> interfaces are a lot higher with todays build compared to my working
> env from 3 weeks ago. There is one difference though: I did a rm -rf
> /usr/obj/* through ssh on the todays build. Could that be the reason
> for the difference or did I find the source of the problem ?
>
> info :
>
> all.log
> todays build : http://fstaals.net/junk/rena/all.log.2008.07.02.1140
> working env: http://fstaals.net/junk/rena/all.log.stable
>
> top -S output (links so the output is still properly formatted )
> todays build: http://fstaals.net/junk/rena/top
> working env: http://fstaals.net/junk/rena/top_stable
>
> vmstat -i on todays build:
> frank at Rena# cat /root/vmstat
> interrupt total rate
> irq1: atkbd0 610 2
> irq9: acpi0 1 0
> irq12: psm0 6 0
> irq14: ata0 58 0
> irq17: wpi0 bge0+ 151862 706
> irq19: cbb0+ 2 0
> irq20: uhci0 uhci+ 1 0
> irq21: pcm0 uhci1+ 8 0
> irq22: ehci0 uhci4 5 0
> cpu0: timer 179565 835
> cpu1: timer 169770 789
> Total 501888 2334
>
> frank at Rena# cat /root/vmstat_stable
> interrupt total rate
> irq1: atkbd0 130 1
> irq9: acpi0 1 0
> irq14: ata0 58 0
> irq17: wpi0 bge0+ 3544 44
> irq19: cbb0+ 2 0
> irq20: uhci0 uhci+ 1 0
> irq21: pcm0 uhci1+ 7 0
> irq22: ehci0 uhci4 5 0
> cpu0: timer 155701 1946
> cpu1: timer 145928 1824
> Total 305377 3817

to see if the values from vmstat were normal I tried a couple things
again. I once more recompiled the latest sources and disabled my wpi
wlan interface (since if the vmstat value was incorrect the most obvious
reason would have been something with wpi I thought. ). Unfortunately
that didn't help much. Second I again cleared /usr/obj/ through an ssh
session. The vmstat value for bge0 (my LAN interface) was >160 000.
Lastly I recompiled my normal sources again and removed /usr/obj/* again
through ssh. Allthough the number of interrupts is still quite big it is
only half of the amount it shows with todays sources. So now I am once
again lost on what to do to determine the cause of my problem:

frank at Rena# vmstat -i
interrupt total rate
irq1: atkbd0 1898 2
irq9: acpi0 1 0