Question about freeBSD package.

Marcin Koziuk marcin.koziuk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 15:34:44 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-07 at 10:26 +0100, Daniele Di Lorenzo wrote:
> Dear FreeBSD,
>
> I am writting you to ask what are the license terms about bjorb package,
> downloaded from freeBSD site.
> Is it under BSD license?...is it possible the redistribution for commercial
> purpose?
> in different way, can you tell me who I can contact to get infomation about?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Daniele Di Lorenzo

This is the full license from the source tarball;

   Copyright (c) 1997-1999 Hitachi Microsoftware Systems, Inc.
   All rights reserved.

   Permission to use, copy, distribute this software for non-commerical
   purpose, and to use, copy this software for commerical purpose is
   hereby granted without fee provided that the following conditions are
   satisfied:

   1. The above copyright notice appear in all copies and that both
      that copyright notice and this permission notice  and following
      disclaimer appear in the documentation and/or other materials
      provided with the distribution.

   2. Neither the name of Hitachi Microsoftware Systems, Inc. not be
      used in advertising or publicity pertaining to distribution of the
      software without specific, written prior permission.

   3. Redistribution of this software without modification is
      permitted if you don't charge a fee except for the physical act
      of transferring a copy. Redistribution of this software with
      modification for commerical purpose is not permitted.

   THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
WARRANTY.
   HITACHI MICROSOFTWARE SYSTEMS, INC. DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH
   REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE, INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
   MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS, IN NO EVENT SHALL HITACHI MICROSOFTWARE
   SYSTEMS, INC. BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL
   DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA OR
   PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER
   TORTUOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR
   PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.

Note that this is not the BSD license and does not allow commercial
(commerical??) redistribution with modification.

It's written by some Japanese guy, Kenkichi Mahara
<mahara at hitachi-ms.co.jp>, you might as well ask him to fix his badly
written license.

	- Marcin