df & du showing different usages for /var

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Feb 6 20:03:55 UTC 2008

> After nearly running out of space on my /var partition recently, I went
> in to clean things up and ensure that it didn't happen again. Using the
> "du" command to look for offending directories and files, I wiped out a
> bunch of old Apache and Qmail logs...and then found that I was still
> using 90% of the partition. So I cd'd over to /var, and got this rather
> surprising set of results:
>
> [alex at tms /var]$ sudo du -sh
> 395M    .
> [alex at tms /var]$ df -h
> Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad4s1a    484M    126M    320M    28%    /
> devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
> /dev/ad4s1f    269G     40G    207G    16%    /data
> /dev/ad4s1d    9.7G    7.2G    1.7G    81%    /usr
> /dev/ad4s1e    1.9G    1.6G    173M    90%    /var
>
> These wildly different results have me confused. How in the world can
> there be a ~1.2GB difference between the disk space in use as reported
> by these two tools?

Because they calculate the space differently.

> Which is right?

They're both right ... in the manner that they calculate it.

> More importantly, how do I fix this?

Well, this depends on your definition of "fix".

If you mean fix du and dh, there's nothing to fix, they're doing their
job exactly correctly.  du calculates the used space by looking at each
file in each directory.  df calculates it by looking at low-level ffs
data.

If you have one program with a file open, and delete that file with
another program, you create a discrepancy between how df and du operate.
Since there is no longer a directory entry, du doesn't count the space,
but since the other program still has the file open, the filesystem still
has the space allocated and used, so df sees the space.  This is the
correct behaviour.

If you mean, how do I actually free up space, the answer could come in
a number of ways.  Generally, the easiest thing to do is just reboot the
system.  Whatever program has space reserved will exit and the filesystem
will reclaim it.  (If the space doesn't free up after a reboot, something
else is wrong)

If a reboot isn't an option, you can often figure out what's going on
by comparing the list of open files provided by fstat with a list of
files that you were deleting.  You might then be able to free up the
space simply by restarting a single program: possibly Apache or qmail.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com