/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ scripts and non-root user

Zbigniew Szalbot zszalbot at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 16:57:26 UTC 2008

2008/2/6, Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52 at dial.pipex.com>:
> Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
>
> >I have looked at my /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ and realized that the symlink
> >I put there has the root as owner. It all works but I would rather use
> >a non-root user for to run that script.
> >
> >$ ls -l /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
> >lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel    40 May  9  2007 sender.sh ->
> >/usr/home/api/sender/start.sh
> >
> There's one more potential mistake you are making here.  Who the script
> runs as has nothing at all to do with who owns the script unless setuid
> or setgid bits are set.  They would be set on the script itself and not
> the symlink, so we'd need to see
>
> ls -lL /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sender.sh
>
> to know what was set or not.

$ ls -lL /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sender.sh
-rwxr-xr-x  1 api  wheel  604 May  8  2007 /usr/local/etc/rc.d/sender.sh

I have never really understood the thing about setuids, gid and etc. :)
I am not planning a restart so won't try it but I am pretty sure that
logs are created by root unless the api is started manually. No big
deal really but thanks for all the suggestions!

Zbigniew Szalbot