xorg default configuration location

doug at safeport.com doug at safeport.com
Wed Feb 6 01:40:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>> then X11 must be configured manually"
>>
>> Where *is* this default configuration located?
>
> default settings are embedded in Xorg binary - i think.
> but there is no default configuration file.
>
>> So, the *only* thing I'd like to change is the XkbLayout setting. Is it
>> possible to locate this "default configuration" and simply change that
>> config
>> setting?
>
> i think Xorg -configure generates exactly this - automatic configuration
>
> generate it, fix keyboard and put it in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

If its Xorg 7.3 no configuration is need if your hardware is supported. In my
test case (an ancient Dell Inspiron) startx selected the correct driver (ati)
and highest supported resolution (1200x1400 or some such).

The version I installed gives a hard error on the module fbdev not being loaded
but then proceeds to work perfectly. If you hardware is not recognized or there
is some other problem the X must be configured manually.