Xorg NV driver problems GeForce 6200

Joshua Isom jrisom at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 18:51:39 UTC 2008

I'm having trouble getting the nv driver to work for me.  I'm using
6.3-PRERELEASE on amd64 which limits me to the nv driver for my
computer.  I have a widescreen monitor attached, so I want actual
1440x900 instead of a stretched 1024x768 to working with so vga's out.
Whenever I start up X, the screen just goes black.  If I set `Option
"NoAccel" "true"` I'm able to ctl-alt-bksp out to the console, but if
NoAccel is false, the system locks up(or at least acpi decides to quit
working).  The chipset is supported by nouveau(assuming at least that
my NV44A is compatible with the NV44).  I know it's not strictly a
FreeBSD issue since I had the same problem with Ubuntu on a separate
hard drive, but for Ubuntu I at least have the option to use NVidia's
driver.  I've read more about people having problems with NVidia's
driver not working than Xorg's which hinders most searches.  Has anyone
had any experience like this or knows how to fix it?

On a slightly off note, my BIOS seems to want to hide the integrated
graphics if an AGP card is attached, even though I've had it working
fine.  Is there a way to be able to use the integrated graphics even
though an AGP card is attached?