Problem with makemap and hash tables

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Tue Feb 5 02:08:40 UTC 2008

On Feb 4, 2008, at 17:27, Olivier Nicole wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having problem with /usr/sbin/makemap hash on huge databases
> under FreeBSD 5.5 and 6.3 while it is working on 4.11.
>
> By huge I mean around 380,000 lines in the /etc/mail/access file.
>
> After approximately 375,000 lines added into access.db I get:
>
>    makemap: access.db: line 375135: key abcd.efgh: put error:
> Operation not permitted
>
> and no more line will add.
>
> I know that having 380,000 REJECT rules in access.db may not be the
> best choice, but it is easy and it was working si far (still works
> under 4.11).
>
> Did anything changed in makemap since 4.11? Any limit in the size of
> the DB?
>
> It seems that my message yesterday was zapped by SpamAssassin (because
> I included names of infamous spamers as part of my examplke), so I
> rewrote it.

I am just under 300K lines in that map at present.  While I have
always wondered where hash was going to break, I hadn't found the
limit yet.  However, the time to build the hash table is extremely
large with that many entries.  I ran some tests a couple months ago
using btree for the map type (subject was 'Map size').  I didn't test
over 300K entries, but it sure built the maps a whole lot faster.  You
might try that and see if it builds or not.