expanding /usr

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Mon Feb 4 10:54:22 UTC 2008

> I would like to expand /usr of FreeBSD 6.2. I plan to get a new HDD, format
> it and create slices. But how to proceed after that? Do I just mount it over
> the existing /usr or is there any additional steps that must be performed?

it's quite difficult to understand you (at least for me).

what do you mean "expand /usr".

do you like to resize the partition. so resize and growfs(8)

how do you "format HDD" - todays hard disk are factory formatted and can't
be reformatted by user.

why do you like to mount it over /usr?

you may simply copy all /usr to new partition, and then unmount it and
mount new partition to /usr, while reusing old partition for something
else.

quite difficult to answer your question...