linux-opera-9.25.20071214 on FreeBSD 7.0-PRERELEASE amd64 fails to start up

Stacey Roberts stacey at vickiandstacey.com
Sun Feb 3 11:18:22 PST 2008

Hi Wojciech!
   Thanks for getting back to me.

On Sun, 03 Feb 2008, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> > I find that clicking on the linux-opera menu item fails to start Opera.
> >
> > Nothing gets logged to messages / security, and I can't think of where else
> > to look for any hints as to what's going on.
>
>  start linux opera from xterm and read what's up.

Here's what I get output to screen:

$ linux-opera &
[1] 2263
[stroberts at ibm-t61p ~]$ shm_allow_removed is disable, set OPERA_NUM_XSHM to 0
to disable shared memory.
ELF binary type "0" not known.
ELF binary type "0" not known.
ELF binary type "0" not known.
/usr/local/share/linux-opera/bin/opera: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

Flashing cursor on the last (empty) line. Hitting "Enter" exits the process
as follows:

[1]+  Exit 2                  linux-opera

>  do you have
>
>  linprocfs               /compat/linux/proc  linprocfs       rw      0
>  0

No - here's what fstab looks like on the machine:

$ cat /etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/ad4s2b             none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/ad4s2a             /               ufs     rw              1       1
/dev/ad4s2e             /home           ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad4s2d             /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad4s2f             /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/ad4s2g             /var            ufs     rw              2       2
/dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
$

Note that that line is not in /etc/fstab on *any* of the other FreeBSD
workstations here.

Another thing I neglected to point out is that I tried Firefox that was
installed as part of Gnome, and that fires up fine :-/

Thanks again for the response. If there's anything else I can provide, please
let me know.

Regards,

S Roberts