Nvidia graphics on AMD64

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd at milibyte.co.uk
Sat Feb 2 15:19:19 PST 2008

On Saturday 02 February 2008, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> After running a 90 hour portupgrade job on my current Duron 1600 based
> system
>
> > I've persuaded myself that a hardware upgrade is due.
>
> simply use precompiled ones if it's a problem.
> anyway - i don't what bloatware you have compiled but on my 1200Mhz
> Thinkpad i needed few hours to install things i use.

The main culprits are some of the the KDE applications which never seem to
have up to date precompiled packages available when I need them. The 90 hour
run was using "portupgrade -P" to use packages wherever possible. Some of the
ports were very heavy going, with kdepim taking 11 hours to compile.
Admittedly it is a lot of bloat but I've never regretted switching from MS
Windows to FreeBSD, despite the tedious portupgrades.

--
Mike Clarke