Nvidia graphics on AMD64

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd at milibyte.co.uk
Sat Feb 2 14:00:43 PST 2008

After running a 90 hour portupgrade job on my current Duron 1600 based system
I've persuaded myself that a hardware upgrade is due.

I'm contemplating building a system around an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ CPU. I'm not
into games and overclocking so a relatively low end motherboard with
integrated graphics should suffice. I've been looking at a few specs, many of
them use Nvidia chipsets and I understand that there isn't a Nvidia graphics
driver for FreeBSD on the AMD64 platform.

If I choose a Nvidia based motherboard would I have to install the i386
version of FreeBSD if I wanted to use the onboard graphics, in which case to
what extent would the overall performance suffer?

My graphics needs are fairly modest, so long as I can use the Gimp to edit
some photos I'm OK, but playing the occasional DVD fairly smoothly would be a
bonus but not essential. Is there any alternative graphics driver which would
meet my needs?

... or should I just keep away from Nvidia and concentrate on something with
ATI graphics?

--
Mike Clarke