CVSup update or upgrade

Ruben de Groot mail25 at bzerk.org
Fri Feb 1 05:11:52 PST 2008

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 07:57:49PM -0600, Chris typed:

> NOTE: I don't use mergemaster unless I go from say 6.3 to 7.0

Not wise. New features and fixes are applied to configuration files and
rc scripts regu;arly. You'll probably miss them.

> STABLE is the security fix branch.

Wrong. According to the handbook:

23.2.2.1 What Is FreeBSD-STABLE?
FreeBSD-STABLE is our development branch from which major releases are
made. Changes go into this branch at a different pace, and with the general
assumption that they have first gone into FreeBSD-CURRENT for testing. This
is still a development branch, however, and this means that at any given
time, the sources for FreeBSD-STABLE may or may not be suitable for any
particular purpose. It is simply another engineering development track, not
a resource for end-users.

RELENG_6 is STABLE
RELENG_6_3 is for security fixes

regards,