scanner setup question

stan stanb at panix.com
Wed Dec 31 20:17:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 12:52:40PM -0500, stan wrote:
> I am trying to set up a new machine that has an HP scanner atached to it. I
> am a bit confused at the moment.
>
> I am trying to set up to allow users to acess this scanner. I have added
> this to /etc/devfs.conf
>
> perm pass0 0660
>
> And that seesm to work:
>
> # ls -l /dev/pas*
> crw-rw----  1 root  operator    0, 104 Dec 31 12:07 /dev/pass0
>
> I have added my suer to the operator group
>
> # grep stan /etc/gro*
> wheel:*:0:root,stan
> operator:*:5:root,stan
> network:*:69:stan
> stan:*:210:
>
> Running san-find-scanner as me finds the sacnner:
>

> found SCSI processor "HP C2520A 3503" at /dev/pass0
>
> But,
>
> $  scanimage -L
>
> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>

> BTW as root:
>
> # scanimage -L
> device `hp:/dev/pass0' is a Hewlett-Packard C2520A flatbed scanner

I did finally resolve this, although I am not certain whu this works. I
woulnd up putting the following 3 lines in /etc/devfs.conf

own     pass0   root:operator
perm    pass0 0660
link    pass0   scanner

The one I did not have in here, when it was not working was the link.
Strange that tunning as root sane checks the pass0 device, but noot when
running as an ordianry user.

programs.