PostgreSQL setup

stan stanb at panix.com
Wed Dec 31 15:06:50 UTC 2008

I have installed PostgreSQL via the ports on a new 7.1 machine. I am trying
to set it up.

I found:

http://www.freebsddiary.org/postgresql.php

Whic says to run:

 su -l pgsql -c initdb

But that gives me the following error message:

initdb: no data directory specified
You must identify the directory where the data for this database system
will reside.  Do this with either the invocation option -D or the
environment variable PGDATA.

But when I try:

#  su -l pgsql -c initdb -D /usr/local/postgres

I get:

Illegal option -D

What am I doing wrong?

programs.