Optimising pxeboot disk size

Bernard Dugas bernard at dugas-family.org
Mon Dec 29 20:07:37 UTC 2008

Hello,

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> i already did such things but with NetBSD 1.5 for my Xterminal distro.
> it's simple:
> mount / readonly, put everything here.
> in /etc put /etc/rc consisting only
> #!/bin/sh
> exec /systemrc
>
> in /systemrc put something like that:
> #!/bin/sh
> echo -n Mounting workstation config directory...
> #get your IP or MAC address using ifconfig,grep,cut,awk,how you like
> #put to to say MYIP
> /sbin/mount_nfs yournfsserver:/clients/etc/MYIP /etc
> echo done
> exec /etc/rc

Thank you very much, it is now running well after some hardware adventure.

I couldn't find the hostname sent by dhcp, but found a way to find the
ip address.

The only problem i have is that the "echo done" and other standard
outputs are not visible in /var/log/messages. How can i keep them either
in dmesg or /var/log/messages ?

Best regards,
--
Bernard DUGAS Mobile +33 615 333 770