Off-topic: Java Reflection/Generics/Collections question

Frank Staals frankstaals at gmx.net
Fri Dec 26 14:39:55 UTC 2008

Not realy a FreeBSD-specific question but I was not sure where I could
find what I was looking for elseware (Googling did not manage to dig up
much info):

The problem:

I want to set the type of objects some Collection object holds on
runtime. In other wors I have an object C with: C extends
AbstractCollection, I have the Class object T specifying what type of
objects C should hold and I have a method M which takes a C<T> as an
argument. I made a generic version of C (without the type) and now I
have to set it so it can only carry objects of type T. Does anyone know
how to do this ?

Information in programming style:

C extends AbstractCollection myCollection;
Class itemType;

public void myMethod(C<itemType> myCollectionArgument)

How do I convert myCollection from being a C to a C<itemType>  on
runtime so I can call myMethod(myCollection) ?

I hope the explanation of my problem makes sense and someone can help me.

Regards,

--

- Frank