Perl 5.10?

Jerry gesbbb at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 23 12:27:32 UTC 2008

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 04:06:46 -0800 (PST)
"Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum" <bg271828 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Its now just over a year since Perl 5.10.0 was relased, but its still
>not in FreeBSD. (/usr/ports/lang only has 5.8).
>
>Can someone tell me why? Is there any way to get it working stably? Is
>there any schedule for when it will be added? This is a major release
>of a major language, not an obscure maintenence update.

I asked that same question on the "FreeBSD-Ports" forum a few months
ago; however, I never did receive a satisfactory answer. I believe it
is readily apparent that it will not be included with the next release
of FreeBSD; i.e., '7.1'.

Since it does seem to work quite well under Linux, I was wondering
if there was some fundamental flaw in FBSD that prevented it from
working correctly here. Even so, failing to get  a major project like
Perl running properly in over a year on FBSD does not bode well for the
OS.

--
Jerry
gesbbb at yahoo.com

When everything is coming your way, you are probably in the wrong lane.