Help with AMD64 install on nforce 590 sli motherboard

Brent Hostetler brent at hostetler.ws
Tue Dec 23 08:11:40 UTC 2008

Hello,

I am having a rough time trying to install freebsd on one of my machines.
The machine in question has the following: ATHLON 64 X2 6000 , EVGA
Motherboard 122-M2-NF59-AX (nForce 590 SLI), 2 SATA HDs, PATA DVDRW..

I have tried the following releases: Freebsd 6.4 Release, Freebsd 7.0
Release, Freebsd 7.1 RC1, and Freebsd Snapshot 8-Current. The snapshot of
current panics, 7 & 7.1 I can get to the installer screen but no sata drive
is detected. I see the controllers being detected fine.

I upgraded the mboard bios to latest version. Raid is deselected in BIOS. I
do not believe there is a hardware problem. The system currently boots
Windows XP fine. I installed Ubuntu 8.10 AMD64 sucessfully and it runs find.

I am at a loss of how to proceed.

Brent