error reading SATA DVDRW

Ivan Carey ivan at careytech.com.au
Sun Dec 21 23:29:05 UTC 2008

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
> enter bootloader prompt (6) and type
>
> set hw.ata.atapi_dma=0
> boot
>

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008, Ivan Carey wrote:
>
>> I am unable to install FreeBSD because of the following error
>> acd0: FAILURE - READ BIG_MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x21 ascq=0x00
>>
>> The computer reboots during install.
>>
>> I have read that this error can be due to the DVD drive being a
>> master, as it is a SATA drive it is assigned as a master in the BIOS
>>
>> Is there a way this can be resolved.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ivan

Wojciech
I entered the command set hw.ata.atapi_dma=0
while loading I still get the error
acd0: FAILURE - READ BIG_MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x11 ascq=0x00

I installed FreeBSD 7.0 with out a problem

When I install PCBSD 7.0.2
During the boot process I get 4 messages of
acd0: FAILURE - READ BIG_MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x11 ascq=0x00

At the loader prompt I also entered
set hw.ata.atapi_dma=0

I get this error at the Install GUI when it is reading each package from
the disc
Seek failed: Invalid argument

Then about half way through the install I get a message
An error occurred while extracting the system image

The system then reboots.

For interest and information I have now problems installing Ubuntu and
Win XP

Thanks,
Ivan