portaudit and periodic

kareemy kareemy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 00:04:38 UTC 2008

I am using FreeBSD 7-RELEASE. I installed portaudit. The FreeBSD
handbook stated that during the install process, the configuration
files for periodic will be updated, permitting portaudit output in the
daily security runs.

portaudit was not run in my daily security runs. There is no mention
of portaudit in /etc/periodic.conf or /etc/defaults/periodic.conf. I
read /usr/local/etc/periodic/security/410.portaudit and found that it
references 3 variables:
daily_status_security_portaudit_enable
daily_status_security_portaudit_expiry
daily_status_security_portaudit_user

I can't find those variables defined anywhere in any periodic.conf
file. I understand I can just manually add
daily_status_security_portaudit_enable="YES" to my periodic.conf and
be good to go. But I am wondering about the discrepancy with the
Freebsd handbook.

Is the FreeBSD handbook out of date or incorrect in this regard or is
there another reason why portaudit didn't update the periodic config
files?

Thanks,
Kareem Dana