Suitability question

Ott Köstner ottk at zzz.ee
Fri Dec 19 11:07:28 UTC 2008

On Thursday 18 December 2008 11:25:51 pm Patrick Baldwin wrote:

> I'm thinking I might be best of trying to built him a really
> locked-down, high security
> box, almost an Internet appliance.  All he really does is use the Web,
> and a little
> light word processing.
>
> What do people think of FreeBSD as the base OS for this idea?

In this case, I would recommend to use PC-BSD.
http://www.pcbsd.org/

PC-BSD is full FreeBSD 7.1, with nice grapical installer, pre-configured for desktop use. Xorg, KDE, Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office, flash, etc. -- all will work out of the box...

After installing PC-BSD, you can think of it as a standard FreeBSD -- Upgrade ports, build kernel, etc.

Regards,
O.K.

--
Mõõda oma inteneti kiirust / Test Your Internet speed
http://tallinn.speedtest.net/