bridge ipfw also protect set

Jeff Laine wtf.jlaine at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 02:47:42 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 10:08:10AM +0800, KHOO Guan Chen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I want to give internet connectivity to a pc behind my Freebsd, which is
> connected to an aDSL. I know I can add another card to my set and use
> bridge+IPFW so that the behind pc is firewalled. But will this setup
> also ensure that my Freebsd set is firewalled? Could now figure it out
> reading the book and article.
>
> Thanks and sorry if this is a silly question.
>
> Regards

Hi there!
You can set up natd+IPFW or use pf only. I think bridging is not necessary in your case.
Proper filter rules will give your freebsd system good protection.

Some information could be found in the Firewalls chapter of the Handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls.html

Great explanation of pf functionality here:
http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/

I find pf approach much easier to set up and maintain.

Google search will give you more ;)

Good luck!

--
Best regards,