Suitability question

Glen Barber glen.j.barber at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 21:46:29 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 4:25 PM, Patrick Baldwin
<Patrick.Baldwin at studsvik.com> wrote:
> Usually I'm asking questions for work related things.  This one is more
> personal.
> My father has this tendency to end up wrecking his computer if he uses the
> Internet
> much.  Computers are basically magic boxes to him, so education is of
> limited usefulness
> here.

Are you willing to maintain the machine for him?

> I'm thinking I might be best of trying to built him a really locked-down,
> high security
> box, almost an Internet appliance.  All he really does is use the Web, and a
> little
> light word processing.

Word processing won't be a problem, but internet 'toys' like Flash
will be a problem, unless you use some wine+firefox workaround.

> What do people think of FreeBSD as the base OS for this idea?

I think the idea's good, as long as you are willing to fix it when if
it breaks on him.

--
Glen Barber