Simple swap question

Daniel Bye danielby at slightlystrange.org
Thu Dec 18 16:36:52 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 10:28:18AM -0600, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> On Thursday 18 December 2008 09:16:10 FreeBSD wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I have a FreeBSD 7.0-Release server that started to swap after an error
> > in a shell script (process spawning competition ;-) ). I killed the
> > shell and the RAM is now OK. The problem is that the swap is still used.
> > How can I "reset" the swap?
>
> You don't.  The system will handle it for you, I promise.  :-)

And very well, too.

You can prompt it to move pages back into RAM if you start using a swapped-
out process again - say, for example, a quiescent word processor had been
swapped out, you could get it back by raising it and starting to type.

But as Kirk said, there really is no need. It's one of the kernel's many
jobs, and I'm inclined to leave it get on with it!

Dan

--
Daniel Bye
                                                                     _