FreeBSD 7 load hangs on boot

ThinkDifferently Jeremy at FutureCIS.com
Wed Dec 17 02:11:46 UTC 2008

Polytropon wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:09:44 -0800 (PST), ThinkDifferently  wrote:

>> hptrr: no controller detected.

> It looks like there's a proble with the hptrr driver? Have you

> tried loading the "HighPoint RocketRAID device drive" by putting

> 	hptrr_load="YES"

> into /boot/loader.conf?

> Further information can be obtained by:

> 	% man hptrr

> Check if your particular controller is supported.

Thanks for responding.  Forgive me for being new to FreeBSD.  My career has
been System V OS'es, like Solaris & HP-UX.  My new biz partner has
strong-armed me...er...convinced me to go FreeBSD.

I am booting from the "boot only" cd (burned from the amd64 iso) for the
first time.  How do I put hptrr_load="YES" into /boot/loader.conf?

Also on my other FreeBSD system, 'man hptrr' resulted in 'no manual page'.

I've been troubleshooting a little with my biz partner.  He told me there
might've been something wrong with the i386 version of FreeBSD on my USB
drive.  So, I put an IDE DVD-ROM drive in the system and got the latest
AMD64 ISO on CD.

Now I'm getting...

acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x11 ascq=0x00

GEOM_LABEL: Label for provider acd0 is iso9660/FreeBSD_bootonly.

acd0: FAILURE - READ_BIG MEDIUM ERROR asc=0x11 ascq=0x00

*** HANG ***

I also tried resetting the BIOS to "Failsafe Settings"...no luck.  I'm
curious, though, what the BIOS settings should be.