questions about some archive files, type *.rar

Wojciech Puchar wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl
Tue Dec 16 02:00:09 PST 2008

> To get such content from a DVD, you would just
>
> 	% tar xf /dev/dvd
>
> But I think this is only possible with UNIX (BSD, Linux, Solaris).
> "Windows" cannot handle this, of course.

you may create small .iso image that consist of some stupid images, readme
or autorun configured to format c: ;), then strip first 512 bytes of it
with

dd if=winiso.iso bs=512 skip=1 of=tmp;mv tmp winiso.iso

THEN

tar Your files as you said, but put winiso.iso first :)

this way - unix user using tar will extract what's needed (just have to
delete winiso.iso after), windoze user will see what you wanted in
winiso.iso