Disk Errors

Al Plant noc at hdk5.net
Mon Dec 15 10:32:11 PST 2008

Wojciech Puchar wrote:
>> ad2: FAILURE - READ_DMA timed out LBA=0
>> ad2: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (1 retry left) LBA=1
>> ad2: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA retrying (0 retries left) LBA=1
>>
>> The flash drive is detected with 3940272 sectors.  Is there a way to
>> control the LBA= parameter?  Does it matter if I try?
> no.
>

>> How can I control the number of retries?
>>
>> I read that FreeBSD doesn't use the BIOS at least for CHS.  Does
>> FreeBSD use the BIOS for PIO and UDMA modes?
> no.
>
> try disabling dma with
>
> set hw.ata.ata_dma=0
>
> bootloader command

Aloha,

Wojciech, could be on the right track. I have recently had to do this on
  several different FreeBSd server boxes to stop these errors. Both
current FreeBSD 7 and  8 have done this. Hardware didnt seem to matter.

   + http://hawaiidakine.com + http://freebsdinfo.org +
   + http://aloha50.net   - Supporting - FreeBSD 6.* - 7.* - 8.* +
   < email: noc at hdk5.net >