Why FreeBSD not popular on hardware vendors

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Mon Dec 15 04:18:21 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 12:49 +0100, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> > I think that can be handled quite easily by community social pressure,
> > and moderation would just set a precedent for "it's someone else's job".
>
> moderation is needed. Things like "community social pressure"
> simply doesn't. Like with democracy - those who are more common and louder
> will takeover, no matter if it make sense or not.
>
> It's already happening on that group that's why i talk about starting
> moderation to remove all posts that are not about group topic!

I think the list you're looking for when you talk about only discussing
the base-system already exists (probably stable or arch). This is
freebsd questions- and the nature of the list according to the
all-knowing handbook IS for newbies, people who probably won't
understand the difference between third party and base.

I started here myself a long time ago, I wouldn't have the foggiest what
you'd be on about if I'd have come across your comments. I hardly do now
if it's any consolation, but thats more disbelief than lack of knowledge
or willingness to learn.

Another fact on this matter is the very point of why the reply-to of
this list is not to the list itself (a matter for argument which has
resurfaced on a regular basis): one does not have to be actually
subscribed to this list to post to it. So of course the really fresh and
uncertain ARE going to come here- this is THE first port of call. And
all of this is IN the handbook.