Why FreeBSD not popular on hardware vendors

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Sun Dec 14 18:21:57 PST 2008

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 11:39:26AM +1000, Da Rock wrote:

> Hence why I tend to send really green unix newbies to linux school than
> grind their teeth on FreeBSD straight up. Let em get their skills and
> experience in how *nix in general works on something a little easier
> (for MIB lovers: noisy cricket), then move up to the big guns.

Why not send them to something like DesktopBSD or PC-BSD, or even
FreeSBIE (if that project is still around)?  If they go to some chintzy
user-obsequious Linux distribution like PCLinuxOS first, they'll just
have more stuff to unlearn *if* it ever occurs to them to give some BSD
Unix variant a try -- and if they haven't been poisoned against BSD Unix
systems by GNU/FSF propaganda in the meantime.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]
Quoth Edward Murphy, Jr. (Murphy's Law): "If there's more than one way