USB Flash Drives

Jeff Laine wtf.jlaine at gmail.com
Sat Dec 13 17:45:37 PST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 09:39:50PM -0500, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> fixer <orders at fixer.com> writes:
>
> > FreeBSD localhost 6.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE #0: Fri Jan 12
> > 11:05:30 UTC 2007
> > root at dessler.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SMP  i386
> > localhost#
> >

> > I just discovered flash drives.  They are very easy to use on Windows.
> > I don't know if FreeBSD supports these drives.  But if FreeBSD does,
> > I need instructions on "how-to-use".  Thanks in advance for anyone who
> > can help.
>
> Rather than mounting the disks, I find it easier to use the "mtools"
> port (emulators/mtools).  The commands look like the old ms-dos
> commands, and include a copy command.

Sorry if unrelated, but is there any way to avoid system crash after ejection of
unmounted USB-storage device? I had a plenty of painful crashes today
after several power losses on my external usb-hdd (ntfs slice mounted, FreeBSD 7.1-RC1).
It would be nice to have a "safety-net" here, considering these devices are so
easilly deatachable by cats and ppl lurking around :)  Any advices?

--
Best regards,
Jeff