Release schedules

Joe S js.lists at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 09:20:53 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 4:01 AM, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 12:59:24PM +0200, Jonathan McKeown wrote:
>> I've been biting my tongue about this because I'm not sure that I can offer
>> any help or useful suggestions, but here goes...
>>
>> What on earth is going on with release scheduling?
>
> Two words: volunteer project
>
> I would propose to do away with the release schedule altogether, or make
> it very succinct;
>
>  next release: when it's done.

What? Isn't that the Linux kernel schedule?

Give me a break. The OpenBSD team of volunteers makes a new release
every six months, with target release dates in May and November. I
can't recall a slip of even one day. I know, this isn't OpenBSD, but
it proves that a regular release schedule is indeed possible.

The FreeBSD project continues to grow. I get that. Perhaps some parts
of the FreeBSD project are not as organized as they used to be, or
perhaps those planning what goes into each release are biting off more
than they can chew.

So what does it take to make regular releases a goal. Maybe try doing
a little less per release? I haven't even looked at the list of what's
changed between 7.0 and 7.1.

I miss the old FreeBSD.