Centralized DB of "system" users

Nguyen Tam Chinh unixvn at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 07:14:52 PST 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 9:47 PM, Ivan Voras <ivoras at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Valentin Bud wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Wojciech Puchar <
>> wojtek at wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:
>>
>>> this case (though it's very complicated to set up, especially the first

>>> so not "right" but interoperable. if i do have only unix systems in LAN,
>>> NIS is much better easier and faster.
>>

>> If you only have UNIX systems in LAN. But in my case i have Linux + FreeBSD
>> (server). From the handbook
>> NIS only works between FBSDs. Am i missing something?
>
> You are correct.

Hmm, I have NIS server on an old Solaris 8 and all clients are Linux
(I can't use FBSD at work due so far). So it sounds strange if NIS
works only between FBSDs, something not standard in the
implementation?
Anyway, I also vote for the LDAP. Later on when you need to introduce
new services, LDAP will integrate better. NIS is very specific for
*nix world.

--
With best regards,
Chinh Nguyen