Why FreeBSD not popular on hardware vendors

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu Dec 11 16:11:46 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 01:24:19PM -0800, prad wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 12:12:19 -0700
> Chad Perrin <perrin at apotheon.com> wrote:
>
> > Please stop trolling.
> >
> chad, i don't think this is fair to wojciech. he is expressing his
> feelings and considerable knowledge about an os that he doesn't want to
> go the way of certain others. i find he writes concisely and backs up
> his statements.

His manner of expressing his feelings seems to be to try to crush others'
beneath his heel.  Try examining the definition of the word "fair" before
you use it in the future.

> nor do i think there is anything wrong with the concept that if you
> don't find what you're looking for here, look elsewhere. that's not
> 'driving people away'. that's encouraging them to figure out what they
> want and get it where it is available - which is precisely what he and
> many others have done by going to freebsd.

If he just said "If this doesn't suit your needs, try something else," I
wouldn't have a problem.  Telling people patent falsehoods about how
FreeBSD simply can't do what other OSes can, even in cases where FreeBSD
can do them *better* than those other OSes, in an attempt to drive away
anyone that might be looking at FreeBSD as a possible migration path, is
rather suboptimal in my opinion, however.

You talk about how many people have gone where they can get what they
want by migrating to FreeBSD, completely ignoring the fact that about
half a dozen times in the last year (wild guess on frequency) he has done
his level best to dissuade people from even finding out whether FreeBSD
is where they can get what they want.  What kind of cruel, sadistic
bastard tries so hard to prevent people from bettering their
circumstances like that?

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]
Quoth Larry Wall: "Perl is, in intent, a cleaned up and summarized