Why FreeBSD not popular on hardware vendors

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu Dec 11 16:07:42 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 04:23:03PM -0500, michael wrote:
> I agree. nothing wrong with his posts. the mailing list was never
> described as a warm, social gather. you want answers, and you get them
> here. i for one would rather him be abrupt and short. no need for the
> pomp and circumstance.

I have no problem with honest abruptness.  What I do have a problem with
is patently absurd statements about the superiority of MS Windows for
classes of uses for which it is *not* superior, and the claim that such
classes of use are somehow "bad" or unworthy.  I'm also rather annoyed by
the fact that he persists in making such patently absurd statements in an
effort to scare off anyone who might actually become a contributing
member of the FreeBSD community even after someone has provided evidence
to the contrary -- and seems to make it a policy to utterly ignore any
evidence that contradicts his own narrow view of the world so he *can*
persist in being a fork in the eye for anyone that is interested in
FreeBSD but hasn't yet really gotten familiar with it.

There's a big difference between people who ask RTFM-worthy questions and
people who ask *good* questions that don't measure up to his standards of
someone who should use FreeBSD.  I'm tired of reading shit about how
anything that could stand to be improved in FreeBSD is just catering to
people who are better off using MS Windows instead, about how anyone
using MS Windows should just stay in Microsoft's world and never bother
trying to improve their computing environments, and so on.

When someone other than him elects to be helpful, his interjections a
dozen posts into a thread about how the person asking the question should
just fuck off and die, and MS Windows is better anyway, are pretty damned
counterproductive.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]
Quoth Marvin Minsky: ". . . anyone could learn Lisp in 1 day, except