Why FreeBSD not popular on hardware vendors

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Thu Dec 11 15:58:58 PST 2008

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 15:44:06 -0800, prad <prad at towardsfreedom.com> wrote:
> may be the mac people can use your line here in one of their
> commercials :D

But only if Mac OS X supports 8.3 filenames. :-)

> > You give them computing power not imaginable 10 years ago, and
> > they treat their system like a worse typewriter and start
> > complaining that it doesn't read their mind...
> >
> it's really fascinating, isn't it!!

It's even more fascinating if you realized that there are people
really thinking this way, without any joke. "The computer has to
know what I want, and if it doesn't, it's worthless crap."

> Tech Support: "What version of Windows do you have installed?"
> Customer: "... Double glazed."

>From the "Operating systems" page:

Tech Support: "May I ask what operating system you are running today?"
    Customer: "A computer."

Sure. :-)

> there really are some true gems on that site, so i'm going to pass it
> on to others ...

For example "Why should I pay you to work on my computer?"

> the only problem is that some of those others may have
> done exactly some of those things that are on that site. :D :D

The "4X cup holder" woman, "Miss Backup" or "Mr. Modem"? :-)

Yeah, I know, "Computer Stupidities" is great, and it's no
scarry fiction (SF). Finally (or first?) note the words of
Charles Babbage, presented on the main page:

	"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of
	Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the
	machine wrong figures, will the right answers come
	out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of
	confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0