Why FreeBSD not popular on hardware vendors

Peter Harrison peter.piggybox at virgin.net
Thu Dec 11 13:24:05 PST 2008

Thursday, 11 December 2008 at 12:28:00 +0100, Wojciech Puchar said:

> >The possibility here is the bells and whistles strangely enough DO work
> >in tune and without sore lips... FreeBSD could be THAT good.
>
> in bells and whistles windows is best. for those who require it paying a
> bit for windows is not a problem.

Well, I've been using FreeBSD for my main desktop since 4.6.2. I'm currently running 7.1-PRERELEASE on a Dell laptop where everything works except the modem. I'm typing this whilst listening to the BBC radio through the iplayer on the net in Firefox (mplayer plugin). I can connect my Palm TX and Ipod without problem when I need to. My removable drives are automatically mounted and unmounted using the thunar volume manager under Xfce.

Personally, I don't see the issue with FreeBSD on the desktop - unless you need flash or nvidia graphics on amd64 (which I don't). But I suppose YMMV.

Regards,

Peter Harrison.