Why FreeBSD not popular on hardware vendors

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu Dec 11 11:38:03 PST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 06:38:30PM +0300, Ole wrote:
> Also you can use portupgrade -PP
>
>    -PP
>      --use-packages-only    Never use the port even if a package is not avail-
>                             able either locally or remotely, although you
>                             still have to keep your ports tree up-to-date so
>                             that portupgrade can check out what the latest
>                             version of each port is.
>
> In in some cases re-compiling it better then package usage. For example you
> may wish for GnomeVFS support by OO, or drop GNOME support and KDE support
> instead. This function sets in configure by program author and when you
> working with ports you can play this options

I'd love to drop GNOME and KDE support for OO.o, but on my laptop I
really don't have the resources to spare for compiling OO.o, so I live
with whatever's in the package.  Such is life.

Actually, I'd love to drop OO.o too, but I haven't gained the level of
familiarity with LaTeX yet to do the things I do with OO.o when making
invoices.

--
Chad Perrin [ content licensed OWL: http://owl.apotheon.org ]
Quoth Sterling Camden: "The Church doesn't want people calling for