How to block NIS logins via ssh?

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Wed Dec 10 23:10:25 PST 2008

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Dec 10), Dan Mahoney, System Admin said:

>>> By default, the passwd field is ignored in an NIS + or - line. It
>>> looks like if you rebuild libc with PW_OVERRIDE_PASSWD=1, you will
>>> get the behaviour you're looking for (see the compat_set_template
>>> function in src/lib/libc/gen/getpwent.c).
>>
>> Okay, let's look at it from an alternate tack then -- what else renders an
>> account invalid?
>>
>> Is there a pam knob to check /etc/shells?  Or an sshd option?
>
> There's a pam_exec module which launches a program of your choice.  You
> could look up the user's shell from there using whatever script you're
> comfortable with.  Or, if all your NIS users are members of a certain
> group, you could use the pam_group module to deny them.
>
>> I found these:
>>
>> http://osdir.com/ml/linux.admin.managers/2003-08/msg00016.html
>>
>> for a user who had a similar problem, but freebsd doesn't appear to have
>> the requisite module.  This could also be implemented as an option to
>> pam_unix (which could check either /etc/shells or the NIS equivalent,
>> since it already has the NIS hooks.)
>
> It looks like our pam_unix module has a "local_pass" option, whch
> claims to disallow NIS logins.  Have you tried that?

No, I'm using netgroups -- i.e. allow one user (or, rather, allow the
@STAFF group, import the whole map, disallow the rest from logging in.)

Actually, I just found the answer to this...instead of putting "nologin"
in, put in something bogus (I'm using /nonexistent)...and the password
will just loop.

This is something sshd does internally.

Given, there's several solutions to this:

1) The Kluge as above.

2) A pam module to check /etc/group (this is standard login behavior, and
historically supported, and available on other platforms, adding a module,
even to ports, is trivial.

3) A patch to openssh to do /etc/shells checking (I'll note that openSSH
has the "UseLogin" option, which may also do this.

4) An option to pam_unix to check this.  Differs from #2 in that it's a
change to an existing module instead of one in ports.

-Dan

--

"The first annual 5th of July party...have you been invited?"
"It's a Jack Party."

--Cali and Gushi, 6/23/02