FBSD 7.1 BETA2 and RTL8168/8111 problem
fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 11:20:50 PST 2008
On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Fernando Apesteguía
<fernando.apesteguia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Tore Lund <tl32 at next.online.no> wrote:
>> Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I recently installed FreeBSD 7.1 BETA2 on my system. During
>>> installation using FTP option, I could notice the following:
>>> After some random time (two, five or six minutes, for instance) the
>>> installation stalled and sysinstall lost the connection. I was taken
>>> back to the "Select FTP site" screen, and I had to configure my NIC
>>> again. Then, the install resumed and I got a usable system (MINIMAL +
>>> docs + manpages)
>>> But the problem persists. From time to time, it seems the kernel can't
>>> see the NIC. It happens during normal operation and no message is
>>> shown in /var/log/messages. ifconfig doesn't show my 're0' device, so
>>> I can't run dhclient on it and I have to reboot. I have to say that
>>> sometimes, even when I reboot, the NIC (RTL8168/8111 PCI Express) is
>>> not present.
>>> This device works fine in the same computer with either Vista or
>>> Fedora 9, though I have to say I had similar problems with earlier
>>> versions of Fedora (device disappearing or not present after boot),
>>> but after a kernel upgrade everything run smoothly.
>>> Does FreeBSD use the same driver than Linux does? Anybody else with
>>> this problem?
>>> Thanks in advance.
>> All I can say is that I have the same NIC, which is built into my Asus
>> M2A-VM motherboard. I have used it since March 2008 with no problems at
>> all. For the past three days I have been running 7.1-BETA2, also with
>> no problems. I should like to provide more detail if that can be of any
>> help to you.
> Hi again,
> As Pegasus remarked, I can see two "PHY write failed" in dmesg. I did
> a freebsd-update a couple of days ago and I haven't seen this issue so
> far. I'll watch and report it should I get this error again.
As I promissed I was watching,
I thought the problem was gone, but yesterday I had to restart my
computer a couple of times before I got my NIC working.
The problem is still there but it seems minimized somehow (or maybe it
was just luck that I didn't have this issue more often)
I'm going to update to 7.1-BETA2-p1 today. I'll keep an eye on this
problem and report it if I see it again.
>> freebsd-questions at freebsd.org mailing list
>> To unsubscribe, send any mail to "freebsd-questions-unsubscribe at freebsd.org"
More information about the freebsd-questions