IPFilter section in Handbook needs updating

Fbsd1 fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com
Sat Dec 6 19:04:51 PST 2008

G magicman wrote:
> And incomplete yes i agree that the doc does need to be updated and examples (more) need to be added.

I wrote that whole firewall handbook section. How is the following for
complete replacement of the 31.5.7 IPMON Logging section?

31.5.7 IPMON Logging
Syslogd uses its own special method for segregation of log data. It uses
special groupings called ‘facility’ and ‘level’. IPMON in –Ds mode uses
local0 as the ‘facility’ name. All IPMON logged data goes to local0.
You have to manually configure the /etc/syslog.conf file by adding the
statements to direct the Local0 'facility' to the log file name
recording the log records. FBSD keeps all of its syslog files in
/var/log/ directory.

First allocate the new named log file for the IPFMON logged data.

touch /var/log/ipfilter.log     # will allocate the file

The syslog function is controlled by definition statements in the
/etc/syslog.conf file.
You will have to edit the /etc/syslog.conf file.

Add the following statement to syslog.conf:

local0.*     /var/log/ipfilter.log

The local0.* means to write all the logged messages to the coded file
location.
To activate the changes to /etc/syslog.conf you can reboot or bump the
syslog task into re-reading /etc/syslog.conf by kill –HUP pid. You get
the pid (IE: process number) by listing the tasks with the ps ax
command. Find syslog in the display and the pid number is the number in
the left column.
Don’t forget to change /etc/newsyslog.conf to rotate the new named
IPFILTER log you just created above.