"Sticky" mouse pointer on machine with high load

Daniel Bye danielby at slightlystrange.org
Sat Dec 6 04:27:21 PST 2008

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 07:23:48PM -0800, Yuri wrote:
> Often when my machine has load is 2 or higher it becomes very visible
> that mouse motion isn't smooth. Mouse moves in a series of quite long jumps.
> I believe this effect is especially pronounced when some applications
> read/write a lot of files.
>
> My understanding is that this is because signal from mouse gets stuck in
> the fifo somewhere and not processed by x-server in time.
>
> Is there any solution to this problem?

Not guaranteed, but it has worked for several people in the past - try
rebuilding your kernel with the SCHED_ULE scheduler, instead of the
SCHED_BSD4 scheduler. Although ostensibly its benefits are more obvious
on multi-processor machines, it does often seem to fix this mouse lag
issue that comes up from time to time.

It has been discussed on the list several times, so you might find some
interesting further reading if you search the archives.

Dan

--
Daniel Bye
                                                                     _