cups issue, unsupported format

af300wsm at gmail.com af300wsm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 18:41:08 PST 2008

Hi,

I'm working on getting cups working and I've installed the "hplip" port and
the cups program used that to install the printer. At least, there was
an "HPLIP" in a list in one of the pages during the setup. My printer is an
old HP LaserJet 4+ which I've connected through the parallel port. My URI
for the printer is parallel:/dev/lp0. When I went to do the test page I got
this error, "Unsupported format 'application/postscript'." Here's the
problem, I chose a driver which, though I don't remember the full string in
cups, was a 4/5 PCL driver. So, why is it trying to print using postscript?

Andy