named and ntpd start order in rc.d

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Fri Dec 5 16:10:34 PST 2008

RW wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:47:50 -0800
> "Nerius Landys" <nlandys at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I believe that the fix for this is to add a dependency
>> to /etc/rc.d/ntpd script, adding "named" to "REQUIRE" section in
>> comments.  In your opinion, is this a robust fix?  For example the
>> line in my /etc/rc.d/ntpd script that looks like so:
>>
>> # REQUIRE: DAEMON ntpdate cleanvar devfs
>>
>> would be changed to this:
>>
>> # REQUIRE: DAEMON ntpdate cleanvar devfs named
>>

> This shouldn't be needed as ntpd already requires ntpdate and in
> turn ntpdate requires named. The issue is probably  timing - that named
> isn't ready.
>
> I have a similar issue with PPP not having connected by the time
> ntpdate runs , so I just have a script that runs between named and
> ntpdate, and blocks waiting for access.

Those timing / start-order issues are getting more and more
annoying, IMHO. On my PPPoE / mpd5 connected systems,
it's the same problem:
 * openntpd (from ports) can't start, because named is not ready
 * pf can't parse /etc/pf.conf because the ng0 interface is not yet there
etc, etc, etc...

Isn't there a generic way to delay some scripts from starting
until a specific subset is ready (say: networking fully up,
and named ready to reply)? Perhaps some keyword or class
to add to a startup script would be nice to have!

Thanks,
--cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/