Performance benchmarks pitting FreeBSD against Windows

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Fri Dec 5 03:21:01 PST 2008

af300wsm at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't even know if this has been done before, nor do I know for sure
> if it's a sound comparison. Never the less, someone posted, in response
> to someone else here just a few days ago, some very nice benchmarks
> provided by Kris ?Kenneway? I could be wrong on the last name, it just
> seems to me that's a last name I've seen with Kris frequently (my
> apologies Kris if I'm wrong). Using the URL that the other poster,
> posted, I poked around the other *.html files in that directory, but did
> not find any with FreeBSD pitted against windows.
>
> I'm just curious to see how it looks for my own sanity's sake. At work,
> someone got the grand idea that we should move to Windoze embedded (CE
> and XPe) and it's been quite discouraging I must say, though I must
> admit, it's nice to actually know why Windows is ugly underneath. From a
> programming perspective, it's just not simplistic. Anyway, I digress,
> I'm just curious to see how things compare to Windows on similar
> benchmarks to what Kris provided if its ever been done.

I've done some benchmarking of Windows file system IO (NTFS) using known
tools like bonnie++, blogbench and postmark under cygwin and the results
are abysmal. It might be due to cygwin, and it might not. I've used
Windows Enterprise Server 2003.

You'll probably not find any difference in computational (numeric) tasks
and fairly bad results in tasks that do a lot of system work.